Monday, October 21, 2013

laughable moment ...

I can't tell you why this struck me as so funny?

Autism as a diagnosis hasn't been very funny ... truthfully I haven't been relaxed enough to laugh about "Autism"

Until last night ... listening to my kiddos while they were brushing their teeth

My - "Al, what would you do for a Klondike Bar?"
Al - "I would eat it!"
My - "No, What would you "DO" for a Klondike Bar?"
Al- "It would go in my mouth and then in my tummy."
My - "What would DOOOO for a a Klondike bar?"
Al - "My Mom would get me one."
My- "Nevermind"

I looked at the hubs and we couldn't help it - we were cracking up and with tears in my eyes - "A question NOT to ask a boy with Autism!"  To laugh at Autism felt great - a huge release for me.  The literal meaning of a commercial jingle and the delight of tasty treat -Al gave the correct answer for himself.  I love that it isn't the answers that is expected -Al thinks outside the box.  There are so many thing about Al that bring joy to my heart and Autism is one of them -- it doesn't define him it or make him "special" -- he does that all on his own!

No comments: