Saturday, March 23, 2013

I've started reading

I want to remember this ... and share.

Jim Sinclair, a man with ASD who spoke at the 1993 Intenational Conference on Autism: "Autism isn't something a person has, or a "shell" that a person is trapped inside. There's no normal child hidden behind the autism. Autism is a way of being. It is pervasive; it colors every experience, every sensation, perception, thought, emotion, and encounter, every aspect of existence... It is not possible to separate the person from the autism. Therefore, when parents say, "I wish my child did not have autism," what they're really saying is "I wish the autistic child I have did not exist, and I had a different (non-autistic) child instead"... This is what we hear when you mourn our existence. This is what we hear when you pray for a cure." As a mother of a child with autism, I completely understand the feeling of wanting a "normal" child, and for the autism to "go away." But I understand now that the autism is what makes my wonderful boy who he is, and makes him so special.

No comments: